• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

September 20, 2024, 10:19:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,479
  • Total Topics: 18,588
  • Online today: 897
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 307
Total: 307

Food

Started by LizStreithorst, July 13, 2016, 06:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

The restaurant food at the NADA hotel was acceptable, not exceptional.  The food at the hotel in Austin was exceptional,  As far as I'm concerned the steaks that were raved about by big deal food reviewers didn't live up to my expectation.  They were good steaks, nothing more,.  The grilled veggies were good, but when you wand hollendaise with your asparagus you expect the flavor to be kicked up a notch.  Same when you order blue cheese on your salad.    Not so there.  Everything was bland.

I ate frozen stuff from a bag at Dottie's.  It was as expected.

Finally tonight I had a decent meal.  I had a salad with nothing but home grown tomatoes, a bit of finely sliced onion, blue cheese dressing out of a jar with real blue cheese crumbled on top.  The main course was Chicken Masella made earlier and defrosted.  It wanted a touch more salt and a dollop of sour cream.   It was excellent.  I'll have the same tomorrow.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

That last cartoon pretty much nails it for me here at home.  When I pay hotel prices for food I expect better.  I want "good" not something just to fill my belly.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 13, 2016, 06:35:28 PM
That last cartoon pretty much nails it for me here at home.  When I pay hotel prices for food I expect better.  I want "good" not something just to fill my belly.

..... |^| w!w |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

I had 2 really good meals at NADA.  One was a fast food Mexican place in the mall where I had an exploded burrito (in a bowl, no tortilla) and the seafood salad at Harry Cary's at our ladies night dinner.  It was worth the $26 for that salad, with tax and tip.  The banquet food was a disappointment.
Barb

LizStreithorst

YOur salad looked very good, Barb.  If I'd known that the steak would have been "just a steak"  I would have had that.  I so rarely make steak.  I thought that I was giving myself a treat huh

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on July 13, 2016, 07:08:06 PM
YOur salad looked very good, Barb.  If I'd known that the steak would have been "just a steak"  I would have had that.  I so rarely make steak.  I thought that I was giving myself a treat huh

If they don't serve a nice thick juicy Porterhouse steak....I don't go there....
Jon

LizStreithorst

They had a porterhouse.  It would have been way way too much for me.  I could have chosen dry aged with the porterhouse.  I got the small filet.  It was not dry aged.  I should have chosen the good steak and just left what I could not eat on my plate.