• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

June 25, 2024, 08:30:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,407
  • Total Topics: 18,562
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 340
Total: 340

The hardest thing I ever had to do

Started by JR, February 16, 2014, 10:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Yesterday I had to put Sampson Down. For the last year he has been trying to attack me for no reason at all. He did bite me a few times and drawed the blood. We tried to get him help the vet gave him meds but they did not work. Friday night he went after Patty for the first timeand I could not have that. She is just to week to fight him off. I did not wont to come home and find her hurt. Rest in peace buddy I loved you so much.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

LizStreithorst

I'm so sorry for you.  How old was he?  Did this behavior on suddenly come on out of nowhere?  RIP Sampson.
Always move forward. Never look back.

JR

He was 6. No I was afriad this was going to happen when he was younger. Some Male Black and Tan are not wired right. The older they get you can just not trust them. He loved us both very much and I knew one day that he would hurt me. But that was my choice. I could not let that happen to Patty. I knew it could happen because his father was put down for the same reason. Ruby and Thor are not doing very well to day they are looking for there buddy.

LizStreithorst

It was genetic then, not something like a brain tumor.  I didn't know that there were temperament issues with black and tan GSD's.  When I was a kid, living up north, the GSDs I knew were the most level headed dogs on earth.  They were like Collies but more serious minded.  Many of the ones down south here are fear biters.  These temperament problems are on the shoulders of the breeders.  If they don't select for any trait, temperament included. the trait will be lost.

Give Ruby and Thor a lot of love.  They're suffering as much as you are.  You can help one another put the tragedy behind you.

How is Patty doing other than being weak?  Is she making progress?

PaulineMi

I'm so sorry to hear about Sampson. May he R.I.P.  I used to train in Schutzhund with mostly GSD owners.  The majority of the dogs were awesome, level headed and very stable.  There would be the occasional aggressive ones and that's a lot of dog to try to control.  You did the right thing for both yourself, Patty and Sampson,  sad as it is.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

wsantia1

I'm so sorry to hear that.  RIP Sampson.  JR the most important thing is that Patty and you are now safe.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Sorry to hear about Sampson, JR.  I had to do the same with a male rottweiler some years back.....  it's very hard to get over.

Dennis

JR

Thank you all Sampson was a big boy he came in at a 140 lbs. He was real hard for me to handle at times. Most times he was the sweetest dog you could meet. But thae last year I have been walking on pins and needles. Not knowing when he was going to go off on me. We have Thor and Ruby now and they will be the last GSD we have. Can not do this again. Liz thankyou for asking about Patty. She is not doing so well since she had her heart attack. She still only has 25% of her heart working. The valves in her heart are not working right. They are just letting the blood fall though. I have been staying at home and not going to the shop so I can be with her 24/7. I won't to spend the rest of the time we have together. Every second.

LizStreithorst

You are a very strong man with tender heart.  I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

PaulineMi

Prayers go out to you and Patty for what you're going through.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Sorry to hear about Sampson...that's sad, but you did the right thing. Our prayers are with you and Patty......and hoping for a miracle.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

I'm sorry that you had to put Sampson down. You did do the right thing as hard as it was. The safety of family always comes first. I'll pray for you and patty. 
Scott

shatanka

I am so very sorry for your having to put Sampson down also, but as others have said, it was for the best. And yes, I have to agree with everyone also, family safety comes first. I know it is still such a hard decision.
I am so very sorry to for what Patty and you are going through. My prayers are also with you both.

JR

Barb

I am so sorry JR.  You did the right thing, for sure.  My late brother and his family had a dog that looked just like your Sampson.  He had to be put down for the same reason.  He had been going to become a police dog, but he attacked his handlers in the police dept. 

Give Patty a big hug from me please.
Barb