• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

September 07, 2024, 10:15:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,476
  • Total Topics: 18,588
  • Online today: 103
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60

Tuesday, July 23

Started by Barb, July 23, 2024, 03:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb

Hi folks, well the old saying of be careful what you wish for is true!!  After weeks of heat and drought, now it is heat plus tons of rain. Dead dry plants, with no roots, are now drowning and any that had a few roots are rotting in all the water.  But my pond is well topped off with many inches of rain.  My neighbors left me in charge of looking after their house for 15 days.  I tried to tell them not to put a food block, a huge one, in the 20 gal fishtank with 4 huge goldfish.  When I went to check on them after a week, it was a disaster.  I have 3 goldfish in a big tub in my guest bath now, trying to save them.  When the neighbors get home they will be greeted by a terrible sight and smell in the 20 gal tank.  I didn't feel like tearing it down, just saved the fish that survived.  Will let you know how it goes.  Have a good week you all,
Barb

wsantia1

Wow Barb, sorry that your garden got so soaked. Hopefully you will be able to salvage some of your plants. We all know how beautiful your garden is and how much work you put into it.

As for the goldfish they probably would have been fine without any food for 15 days. When I was working I did a lot of traveling and I left my fish as long as three weeks without food and if I lost any I didn't notice it.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

Hi Barb & Willie.  Our weather is pretty much back to normal for this time of the year...  at least it has been for the past week!

I'm with you Willie, I'd leave my fish for  two to three weeks without food and not have any problems.  I always found that better than turning someone who didn't have any fish experience loose in the fish room.

LizStreithorst

I was away for a month when I fractured my hip.  I told April not to feed the fish.  When I got home they were all fine.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Ron Sower

Our friends, Stan & Barb, moved to another community, so I lost my fish keeper while we're away. But I make it simple. I tape little envelopes with the food I want in the tank and write the dates on them. That way anyone can feed them the right amount.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron